Seach The Maas Family Blog

Saturday, February 16, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time...

Of the week! Today was a produce day where we buy in bulk at the Farmer's Market, and I love the goodies we get every 2 weeks! Of course, this comes with work - each shop I have to be up and dressed by 7am to open the garage, help sort food, and collect money for the next time. Saturday is the only morning that I set my alarm and typically the one morning my children sleep past 6:30. Isn't that Murphy's Law? Pick up is at 8am and then I come inside to loving wash the fruit, put away any root plants, and bag the green stuff!

It's such a treat! It's now been 2 years since we started doing the produce co-op, and my dedication has wavered at times (especially while pregnant!!!), but I love getting new things to try and have expanded my variety of cooking! We try to plan our menus around our produce - so this week we will have Tuscan Bean soup, a sweet spud casserole, roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, and onions coated with olive oil and sprinked with salt, pepper and garlic), and whatever fun side dishes I can come up with. I really wanted to get some eggplant as well, but there just wasn't enough money! Drum roll please....



2 sets of broccoli

16 snack size carrot bags

1 head cauliflower

2 heads romaine lettuce

5 red onions

8 small bell peppers

2 bunch spinach

1 butternut squash

5 small yellow squash

3 zucchini

3 sweet potatoes

10-11 fugi apples

10-11 pink lady apples

8 bananas

1 big bag red grapes

6 large oranges

8 d'anjou pears

3 pieces jicama

4 big peaches

1 head celery

6 kiwi



All this for the bargain price of $30!

These pictures are from May 2006 - the only time I've ever taken pictures! There are 12 people in the group and we rotate who shops, so you never know what you are going to get!!!

No comments: