Seach The Maas Family Blog

Friday, January 25, 2013

Mitchell is Two!

 Well, the dirt cake went over so well 2 weeks prior, Mitchell just couldn't get enough - so he also got to have it for his birthday.  He also got to help me make it...what a sweet sweet boy!
 The concentration...with the promise of a fingerful...
 He chose pancakes for his birthday dinner (though he might have been somewhat influenced by his older sisters) - complete with fun syrup, berries, and homemade whipping cream!  The Frys and the Wests came to celebrate with us - promise everyone had fun...just somber faces.  (side note - notice how long Annie's hair is...a foreshadow of things to come!)
 Mitchell is quite enthralled with fire, so we did a little fire (and I think roasted marshmallows...can't remember!) and enjoyed the cool evening.  He loved watching Ben and 'helping' to set up the sticks.
 This is one of my all-time favorite pictures...due to the little left hand of my youngest child - totally his personality.  He loves to be in the middle of the action, but he is going to want to touch, hug, or just stand next to you...maybe because he was never set down as a baby???  Who knows - we just all savor our Mitchell-hugs!
 Hmmm - we fed the kids first, so they could go and play while the adults enjoyed their food AND conversation.  Mitchell decided his tummy wasn't completely full yet and went to the one person who was willing to share...
 Hanging out by the fire with his little friend, Aspen.  They both set 'their' puppies next to the fire also.

 Time for the cake!  Yes, it was hidden in the fridge so this little monkey couldn't find it!  I have always wanted to do this cake and was so excited to finally get too - the dump truck was his present!
 Oh, the intensity of this little guy - he is going to BLOW those candles OUT!  Hehehe...
 We did a few presents after - the finale...a train set.  He has kind of liked trains, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money on one if he wasn't going to LOVE it...thus, thank you, Aldi!
This little guy is such a trooper - I love him in so many different ways!  However, his birthday was on probably the busiest Saturday of the year!!!  Ben had 3 games, the girls both had play practices, afternoon meeting for Andy, and that night was Stake Conference - where I was singing with the choir and needed to be early.  {Had I not been assigned the closing prayer - I definitely would have skipped out - I was just so stretched!} There was not even a one-hour chunk that we could do a birthday activity or even a meal!  ((Thankful for Sundays!))  I knew that Mitchell wouldn't know we were celebrating on a different day, but I had some massive Mommy-guilt that I just wasn't giving him the time and attention he deserved on his birthday.  Run, run, run all day - grab the sitter and off to the church.  *Sigh*  It was a fantastic meeting and very uplifting and just what I needed.

Fast forward to 945pm when we arrive home.  Who runs out???  My little 2 year old - happy as can be!  Our cute sitter said he had just woken up and she was trying to put him back to bed.  (This kiddo is typically so tired at the end of the night - he's a zombie until abt 6:30.)  Andy drove the sitter to her friend's house (this is important because it was a 30 minute drive), and I kicked off my shoes, went to the rocking chair, and opened my arms to hold and love on my little guy.  He relaxed contentedly on my lap while we just rocked and rocked...this NEVER happens - if he is awake, he is on the MOVE!  I looked at my clock and realized - it was the exact time of his birth - 9:59pm.  THIS is called a Tender Mercy - a little gift from Heavenly Father - a sign to me that He knows how to ease my burdens and that He is aware of and cares about me.  Tears rolled down my cheeks as I loved on my little friend, knowing that we are both special...as Mitchell slowly drifted off into dreamland.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this!! You are an amazing Mom and don't ever need to doubt that fact.
Mom