Seach The Maas Family Blog

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

2nd Term Report Cards

I need to take a quick moment to remember this elated feeling...sigh.  Oh, feels so good. 

Ben - every report card of his, I take a quick breather before I open it.  I know the child is quite intelligent.  I know that he CAN work super hard - when he wants to.  I know he is incredibly intense and just has to say some things right then, even if the teacher didn't call on him.  I know he loves Social Studies and Science, couldn't care less for math or language arts.  However, so pleased to find grades pulled up from high Bs to low As - thanks to a bit of studying and constant nagging from the parental units to finish assignments (and the homework hotline to check assignments each day).  Not that we have been perfect (because some days papers are just left in desks!!!!), but it's been much smoother.  He continues to have issues with talking too much and not using class time efficiently, (and we do lots and lots of reminders about that), but sadly, I received the same darn comments almost every single report card.  I know; we are busy people with wiggly bodies!!!

Annie - She was the one I was most worried about starting school - she was horrific when we did a coop preschool - at least when I taught.  Child would have nothing to do with learning and only wanted the art projects.  These are the comments from her teacher this term, "Annie continues to do a wonderful job in second grade.  She is such a wonderful role model as each time I introduce something new, she is so excited!  She continues to be a great help to those needing extra support.  As for her reading - I had to add some more books for my shelves.  She is a great motivator for encouraging others to read, especially when she finds a book she loves!  Then everyone wants to read it.  Thanks for your continued support.  PS - Her hair cut is so cute.  Her story of donating it was wonderful!"  Love that this little one is settled and happy.  She has friends in abundance, and despite the emotional drama we tend to see at home, is showing the balance and maturity at school that we have been practicing for and teaching at home!

Emily - This girl - such a social little butterfly.  She comes home each day with a story about one of her friends.  She can command the masses.  She has such a great attitude about learning and keeps her spirits up, even when she just can't remember that word or what number comes next!  I have incredible respect and love for the patience her teacher shows for her, as we have practiced 'was' and 'of' and 'are' over and over and over and over again without yet mastering this skill!  We spent many hours over Christmas break with the "Bob" books, trying to get the flow of reading down and we are finally seeing a little bit of progress!  Hip Hip Horray!!!  Ems does a fantastic job with math problems, but counting is just so hard!  She likes to problem-solve, not memorize.  However, her little scrunched up nose reminds me to be patient as some things are harder to learn than others. 

All in all, a great Friday afternoon when report cards came home.  We don't do anything special for 'A' or 'M' (mastery) grades, other than a big hug and special bragging words to dad as I had the cards to him with a flourish (knowing the kids are within listening distance), but I sure am proud of them all for working hard and staying positive and working at the kitchen table even when they don't want to be there!  Love these guys!!!!

No comments: