Seach The Maas Family Blog

Monday, February 28, 2011

A Quiet Sunday Afternoon

The kids love Sunday afternoon, where we don't have to go anywhere. They get into a groove playing and just enjoy our time. Ben is playing happily and quietly (with humming) with all those lovely little Legos! This kiddo is so amazingly creative! I think he was making a dentist office that day - a nice change from the battle scenes that he typically creates! This can last hours if we don't interrupt him.
I went shopping with a friend to a store called The Flower Factory. She wanted to get some things to make her daughter a mobile. That is one of the things that hasn't survived from our other kids, so I bought some butterflies to make Mitchell one. I just used white sewing thread to tie it to an embroidery hoop. He loves it and gets great big eyes when I put him in the crib (as opposed to his bassinet). Annie told me I needed to make him a 'boy' one because butterflies are for girls. Tough Luck - this boy will like butterflies! Besides, they start as caterpillars and those are VERY boyish!
Andy went out to shovel - Emily wanted to go with him.
Valentine's was the next day, and I wanted to make a special treat for my Valentine: Strawberry Shortcake, his favorite! I found a (supposedly) fabulous recipe that needs to be made 2 days prior to serving it. Friday night I made the shortcake (with 3 sticks of butter!!!) and wrapped it for storage in the fridge. Sunday afternoon Annie helped me cut up 2 pounds of strawberries to sprinkle with sugar. Then we started to make the whipping cream. It wasn't working. Did I add too much sugar or not enough??? I added a dash of vanilla because I like that. Andy thought maybe that was why it wasn't whipping. I checked Google and vanilla is completely allowed and shouldn't make a difference. I gave up. Andy took over and tried whipping it in the blender. After almost an hour - we realized I bought light cream - NOT light whipping cream. Oops! After 5 calls to friends, no one had whipping cream, so we delayed our strawberry shortcake until the Monday (when Andy gets home after 10pm).
Emily thinks Mitchell is her personal buddy and he needed to be rocked. Not much seems to phase him anymore. :)
Lesson learned: do not play on treadmill (after Mom has said 'NO" at least 6 million times), especially not when Annie is already on it. The treadmill will throw you off and rip off the top layer of your skin...
Monday - our friends came over. This is little Gwen, whom we all love to squeeze - almost as much as our little Mitchell. They have become buddies too - just like their mommies!

2 comments:

JoshandJen said...

That mobile is awesome,way to go! I need to go to that flower factory someday, I have heard of it but never been there. I love strawberry shortcake, my great aunt used to make it all of the time and it was so delish! And a big ouch!! His back looks horrible, but I am glad he didn't break anything, I had a friend that this happened to her child and she broke her hip....I am glad our treadmill is in the basement and all of my kids (even the older ones) are scared of our basement so I dont have to worry about that. It was so so nice to meet you all in person, it was so so much fun on Sat. Jen M. is totally right, you guys are WAY awesome!! :)

Heather said...

Please send me a copy of the Mitchell and Gwendolyn. I loved spending time with you. Thank you for being such a wonderful friend. We should have the shortcake again. YUmmy!