Seach The Maas Family Blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Hanging out at Grandma's House

One of the very best things about being home was Grandma making breakfast, namely her waffles. Every school morning growing up, my mom made pancakes, waffles, or french toast. My pancakes and french toast can rival hers, but I've NEVER been able to get waffles to turn out even close to yummy! So, when I go home, that is our most requested meal, closely followed by Grandpa's chili. The girls had SO MUCH FUN being in the kitchen. The best part was - there was easily room for all of us to be in the kitchen together!!!!! Making cookies, brownies, or sopapilla cheesecake with Aunt Jamie. Annie and Emily weren't picky about what desserts they helped to make. This was most Sunday afternoons....
Evenings were game nights, much to Ben's delight! I would try to have dinner ready by the time everyone came home from work. If there were no meetings that evening, we'd have the kitchen cleaned up super fast and pull out games. We taught Ben to play Rummicub, which is one of my favorites! However, once Mom taught Jamie and I to play Pinochle, we focused more on getting the kids to bed at a decent hour so the three of us could play!
Coloring before bedtime... The kids have perfected the art of prolonging bedtime when Aunt Jamie or Grandma are around!
Eating divine Blue Bell ice cream. I had convinced myself we weren't really missing out on much by having Breyer's while in Ohio. I WAS SO WRONG! Blue Bell is so incredibly delightful!!! (We have a law school activity here in a few weeks. Our contribution is going to be brownies and Blue Bell ice cream that we can buy in bulk from Outback Steakhouse! I'm working hard to clean out my freezer so we'll have room. AND, I'm leaving myself a little leeway for a 5 lb weight gain that week!)

Another evening of prolonging bedtime with just a 'little bit' of a movie.
Ben was so excited to scrapbook with Grandma! One Saturday morning they holed up in her 'office' (aka scrapbook room) and put a book together!
Weeding the flower beds...
One thing we all love to do together is work on puzzles. We pulled this one out shortly before Independence day and worked on it sporadically for the next 3 weeks. It was a HARD puzzle! (Notice the Risk game in the corner...we had a few games that we played on for days. We being Ben and whatever adult got suckered into playing with him and his competitive nature. I have NO IDEA where he got that!)
This is the Texas puzzle we started the night we got to Texas. We finished it the day before we left to come home. Another hard puzzle! Thankfully, Mom donated her dining room table to our puzzle projects! Super duper fun!!!

1 comment:

barbara said...

Loved doing the puzzles and the game playing. My evenings are a lot less exciting than they were when you were here! I'm thinking about starting a new puzzle but can't quite get motivated.