Seach The Maas Family Blog

Monday, August 9, 2010

Picking...

Blueberries and Blackberries!!! A friend told us about a blueberry patch they pick from each summer, thinking we might enjoy that. And, yes we did!!! We went with our partners in crime to pick us some berries! We started out with the blueberry bushes. Super fun and very easy! The kids each partnered up and had a bucket, leaving Angie and I to fill 'their' buckets!
We had a great time, although they really should have weighed the kids before we went down the row and then when we left the row. I'm sure they ate more than they picked! (I teased Angie that she looks like Angelina Jolie with her sunglasses and our six kids...she did!)
Emily had so much fun! It was a beautiful day and the promises of real fresh blueberries was so exciting!!!
Kiddos hard at work! The berries were $2.20 per pound, and we ended up with a little over 3 pounds in about 20 minutes of picking. We have been having handfuls at most meals and in between meals for snacks! 3 pounds is a LOT of blueberries!!!
This is my cute, sweet Miles...BEFORE we went to the blackberries. I sure wish I had an after shot! His face, ear, and his mom's shirt were all stained purple. The blackberries were a LOT messier and children's hands were much faster in there; no time to grab the camera! We picked our little row, but the humidity inside the greenhouse was stifling and the vulture-lady overseeing this area was pretty intense about all of our little 'helpers.' We got in, picked a few and left again. However, it is sad to say that the 1.5 pounds of blackberries we picked were gone by late afternoon. I have a bunch of fruit thieves in my house!!! I grabbed the last 6 to save for Andy, knowing he would love them too. I just can't even describe how much yummier berries are when warmed from the sun and freshly picked from the vine/bush! Apparently the kids all thought so too!

No comments: