Seach The Maas Family Blog

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Making Houses

Andy was sick and slept all of one Sunday; we found out the next morning it was strep. I tried to continue our holiday activities we previously planned and the kids did AWESOME! I was planning to have each child build his/her own house, but Ben and Annie really wanted to work together (and consequently argued most of the time, but that is beside the point - they still wanted to work together). So, Emily, Mitchell and I teamed up! Mitchell wasn't much help...slacker!
The finished product! (Disclaimer: I'm absolutely positive that both Annie and Emily consumed at least twice the amount of candy displayed on the houses. However, I decided I didn't care for two reasons: first, I was the only parent and could in no way enforce a limited amount and second, we used the rest of the Halloween candy to decorate houses. At no other time do I let them go free on candy - except decorating houses. No wonder this is something they want to do every year!)
It was amazing the amount of detail B and A put into their 'house.' This was George Washington's army and battlefield. There are soldiers with guns, cannons exploding, bullet-proof walls, barricades and more that I can't remember. I just felt so important because Ben let me eat George Washington - a star burst with frosting; it doesn't get much better than that!
Emily and I worked together well. She told me where to put frosting. She put on the candy. (Mini Oreos with frosting may or may not be very delicious...) Mitchell wanted to join us for the picture!
Then we trooped downstairs to watch The Little Drummer Boy, which I have never seen but really quite liked! Andy walked through to get a drink (I was a little bit busy and couldn't get it for him.) and caught my 'most-evenings balancing act' with the 3 youngest children. Personal space issues, me? Why do you think... Good thing we have a big recliner!!! And, please, if I don't always answer the phone, even if it's right next to me, don't take it personally

2 comments:

JoshandJen said...

The houses look awesome! Love that last picture and I know what you mean, sometimes I have all 3 of my little ones on my lap and my phone will be right there, but there is no way I am answering it lol...and your Mitchell has the most awesome cutest hair I have ever seen on a baby!!

barbara said...

Cute houses; good work guys!! I wish I could be there to take at least 3 of those little snugglers off your lap. I'd love to have them on mine!!