Seach The Maas Family Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

Christmas Morning

I snuck upstairs to see that Santa came! (Ben and Dad - fishing poles and tackle box, Mom - Biggest Loser cookbook!, Annie - cash register, Emily - lady bug pillow pet) We all slept in the basement. Ben woke up in the middle of the night with croup. Joy - no, we didn't get much sleep that night!
Christmas morning. Poor Mitchell, I made him stay in my arms all morning. Such a special holiday with a little baby. :) Thought I would hate a winter baby, but a Christmas baby is something sweet!
Months before we were at Toys R' Us, Ben found a Lego set he realllly wanted. I told him the only way for him to have that it would be his only gift from Mom and Dad and Grandma and Grandpa Doerk and maybe even Aunt Jamie. He said that was fine - it was what he realllly wanted! It went on sale a few weeks later, and I was able to snag it, so he did get a few other little gifts. This big box didn't get put under the tree until after the kids went to bed on Christmas Eve - just in case there were little fingers that opened packages (which a few got torn). He had to wait until the VERY end of the morning to open it...see a happy Ben!
Christmas was so incredibly delightful! We didn't rush; we didn't have to be anywhere, there was just us, and we had fun! One aspect that made a bit of a difference was Ben - he lost his voice. So just there, the volume was much lower than normal. Add to that, the girls had one less person to talk over and the volume went down even more. Everyone was just happy. We played games all during the break, all worked together to get the house in order each day, ate mostly healthy things (with a few little peppermint egg nog shakes thrown in the mix), and just enjoyed being a family! It was incredible! I remembered why I loved my husband again...I might need to look back at this in March when he is neck-deep back in law classes and work!
Love my cutie kiddos!!!!

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

ahhh peppermint eggnog smoothies - love them! We only had a couple this year - which I guess is a good thing, but now I'm thinking we should have had more!

K8 said...

Look at the joy in their eyes! (And yours too!) How neat.