Seach The Maas Family Blog

Friday, August 28, 2009

A Little Different

I know I need to do pictures, but it's been busy. However, these are a few things that have made life different so far.

1. Constantly hear the singing of crickets - seriously, it is constant! But so pleasant!
2. The kids spent over an hour last night hunting for frogs and making them a home once they finally caught one.
3. Watching a hawk fly through the trees behind our house while eating dinner tonight.
4. Driving to Ben's school, I noticed a written sign for home grown corn and a number. I called and ordered 6 dozen ear of corn. Well, apparently they think a dozen is 15 because I have 90 ears of corn to freeze and enjoy throughout the winter! The man apologized because a few dozen had been picked this morning but most of it had been picked within the hour. Seriously??? Wow! I got it for Sunday dinner, so hopefully it will still be considered 'fresh' then!
5. Last night while we were outside, we saw bats flying above our house searching for dinner. Yes, bats! True, we used to live in Austin which happens to contain the largest Urban Bat Colony in North America, but this is my house!
6. Andy has been home for dinner four of the last five nights. (I can just imagine your jaw dropping open right now!) It's been so much fun! Dinner conversation a few times has centered around his cases from class. We've learned about possession and contracts of a horse and had a little bit heated discussion about the treatment of Indians - as well as possession and settlements. The kids completely participated and thankfully many parts of Pocahontas (the new favorite movie) pertained to our discussion. I don't see him much (or at all) outside of dinner and the few minutes after, but that has really helped to calm our house down.
7. I feel like I live in the kitchen. I do love to be there, but wow! It's not a very big space, so I feel like I am constantly moving things around and trying to find extra room. Washing all the dishes by hand hasn't been too bad. It's a little bit relaxing, and I've mellowed enough that each night I let Emily 'help' me. She LOVES to be up there with me and tonight even scrubbed a few things!
8. Walking to the bus stop each morning and afternoon is the second most exciting time in our day! I love this quiet time with my kids that we just talk about our day - either what we will be doing or what we have done.
9. Date night - when Andy was released from the bishopric, the 1st counselor in the Stake Presidency did it. He is also a lawyer. He kind of laughed and said he wouldn't change places with Andy for anything. He said the one thing that would get him through school would be a supportive wife and the only way to keep her supportive was a date night ONCE a WEEK. He looked at me and told me I have permission to call him if Andy doesn't follow through with this! So, tonight I did Red Box for the FIRST time and bought some refrigerated cookie dough (so no more dishes :)) and we are about to start our date! We've made it through the first week of school!!!!!!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Reading your blog has made me happy. Thank you for being so friendly and kind. You are the best. You sound like super mom/wife to me!

Michelle said...

Isn't it fun being somewhere new? Living life with the people you love so much but being somewhere so foreign is kind of exciting to me.
Thanks for the tip about Audrey being in the store!
Is Andy going to wear the same shirt on all his first days of school as well? :) It might fit him better than Ben's "first day of school shirt" two years from now.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like there are way more positives to your new life than negatives. Remember - bats eat mice!! Keep them around. Also, if Andy forgets you deserve a date night, you can also call me! You have by farrrrrrrr the toughest job right now. Keep up the good work. I love you. Mom