Seach The Maas Family Blog

Saturday, August 29, 2009

I looked in the kitchen and what did I see?

Little pieces of corn all over the floor! So, I had this great idea to buy 6 dozen cobs of corn and freeze it in its prime. I found a sign in my neighborhood and called. They picked most the corn for me about 30 minutes before I went to pick it up. (Can you say fresh???) The kids were so excited about this project..until they had husked about 3 cobs each. Emily stayed by my side for at least a dozen or so. Then I blanched and cut. Love the picture, huh? This is the size of my kitchen! The sink is about 8 inches behind me. There is about a foot of counter space between the stove and the fridge too. Alas, I have found some girls to exercise with, and I LOVE IT! We do Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 5:45 and Saturdays at 7 (why I look so lovely :)). Ben went with me this morning and then we headed to the Farmer's market. (Prices are better than the store, but still SOOO depressing compared to what I would get with the produce co-op :) A few minutes after we got home, Andy left for a 10 hour study session at school, so the corn project was allllll MINE. *Note to self - do not undertake big projects alone; you will not like your children by the end of the day...*
This is it. This is all the corn that came off the cobs, minus what Annie and Emily snitched while occasionally holding bags open for me. I have 9 full quart bags and 7 snack size bags with a little over a cup in each. The corn is just delicious! It is so yummy!!! AND, I must admit that I saved back 11 ears of corn for dinner on Sunday and Monday - so this is really about 5 dozen.
Now - do I take advantage of the peaches that are about to go out of season and can those, knowing how 'well' today went? I'm kind of re-thinking that plan...
So, for my $21 at the Market here, I got the following:
14 apples (only 10 left now as the kids were begging for them the moment I walked in the door)
14 peaches
4 large tomatoes
2 heads lettuce
1 bunch cilantro
4 zucchini
1 cucumber
1 small eggplant
1 butternut squash
about 3 cups of green beans
Yep - that's it! Richardson Produce Co-op, I sure miss you! I've been spending about $30 on produce each WEEK!!! We are running out, and I've been skimping on servings!!! No Sprouts here either. :( Give and take right? And the high tomorrow is supposed to be 65 degrees... breathe deeply in and deeply out...in...out...in...out....

5 comments:

Dave and Lucy said...

Your projects just amaze me (and make me very tired)! I was thinking about you and our peach experience last year. I only bought one box this year and we simply ate them. I miss your enthusiasm to be domestic!!!

Anonymous said...

Linz, I love your blogs and really think that in your spare time you should write a book! Good job on the corn. You will appreciate all of the hard work sometime next Jan. when things are dark and dreary and you can eat "real" corn! Be patient with the kids... Love, Mom

rabnerfamily said...

Yea for you! The corn looks wonderful! I am so glad you are getting settled. I hope that you continue to love your new adventure in life.

Jamie said...

The corn looks delish! A lot of hard work, but very worth it!!

Lindsay said...

How exciting that Andy is in law school. Your corn idea is great, my girls LOVE fresh corn. It's great to see how you guys are doing!