Seach The Maas Family Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2010

I Did It!!!

A few weeks ago, I had a horrible experience in a little store. It's a tiny Amish store but they have fabulous produce and great prices. I had all three kids with me, with super strict warnings to stay with me and be incredible listeners! They were; they did fabulous, until...we were checking out. Ben and Annie were unloading our cart. I was semi helping them and trying to move forward to pay. Emily was standing on the edge of the cart and reached over in a split-second and touched the cash register next to us. OOPS! The lady pretty much went ballistic.

I have received my fair share of comments in stores (of having my hands full) and have learned to basically roll with the punches. I do have THREE children - that is sooooo many! Alas, this cashier proceeded to talk incredibly rude about me and my children to her customers, other cashiers and the people waiting in line. In her 2 minutes interaction with me, I was an unfit mother who didn't watch her children, had too many children, and basically should never take them to a store unless I was going to control them. (This was nicely tempered by the 4 comments I'd received while shopping about how helpful and well-behaved they were.) After I had paid, I reached over and touched her on the shoulder and apologized as sincerely as possible(for the 4th time) - telling her I was so sorry. I got a, "Ya, well, you need to watch your kids." Hello? I was watching; that's why I could tell you what button she pushed!?! **Just for my sake, my child is 2 years old AND I've been noticing that every other cash register in the store (and every other store I've been in) had a little plastic piece between the register and the next aisle protecting it from possible little wandering fingers, except that one.) Granted - still my child's mistake.

By the time I left, I was in tears. Not a typically Lindsey thing! I think I'm pretty easy-going. Once I vented a little bit to a friend and Andy, I expected to fell better about this. Well, its still bothering me enough I don't want to go back. I talked to a friend this morning (who is picking me up some apples from that store) and kind of shared my experience. After learning I'm not the only one who has had issues, I called the manager. I DID IT!

I've never called a manager to complain before. It felt good. After I explained what happened and how I felt, he said she had mentioned this situation to him and Emily had wiped out the order. I apologized (AGAIN) and said that the woman had re-entered it in less than a minute. He apologized profusely. I did great; stayed calm and said everything I wanted to to. It was a good 8 minute conversation. My heart is still beating rapidly (2 hours later!) and I worry that next time I'm there she will shoot daggers at me, but that's okay. She did that before too! No one should be made to feel like dirt because their two-year-old had quick fingers. Nor should a woman be made to feel inferior because she has THREE whole children! Earl asked me to please call him again if I am ever in the store again and am treated that way. You betcha!!! What an empowering feeling to stand up to a BULLY! At least to the bully's boss... :)

4 comments:

barbara said...

Good for you! For sure we are going to that store when I come to visit and I'll have a few words to say to the "bully" directly. She has no business working in a service-oriented business. I'm guessing she has NO children and NO life.

Laura said...

Oooohhh! I am going to have to talk to you about this next time I see you. What lady is this? I always feel like that when I am in that store but I have never had anyone say anything to me. Stupid people!

Amy said...

Good for you.

M Hastings said...

Good for you! My two boys keep me busy, so I can imagine that it would be much harder with another little one, but clearly, if you could tell what button your daughter pushed, you were being absolutely responsible!

It's interesting to me how people respond to families bigger than 4 (2 parents, 2 kids). I'm the oldest of 10, and even when it was just a few of us at the store with my mom, we always got stares. Of course, we always also got compliments. My parents didn't sink around with bad behavior.

It's really important to let "the higher ups" know when you have exceptionally bad - and exceptionally good - experiences!