Seach The Maas Family Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Just the Extra

I came out of the shower one morning to find my cute little girls snuggled up together on the couch. Annie and Emily are so adorable together! Emily only weighs 3 pounds less and is about 3 inches shorter - quickly catching up! Today we had our first fight over clothes because I let Annie wear a pair of Emily's jeans (Annie's old ones) since Annie doesn't have any pants out yet. Oh the tears that filled the room; unfortunately, I don't think this is going to be a lone incident. Aunt Jamie sent a package with a cake mix in it. A princess cake! The insides were pink with blue sparkles. All the kids were so amazed by the 'stickers' that went on the cake that we could eat! Super fun; thanks!!!
This is Andy's foot on day 5. It still hurts him almost as much as it did the first night. Think it's time to suck it up and get ready to pay a big old doctor bill... Can't wait any longer for our 'pending' insurance!
This is the favorite spot to play outside! This is behind our garage. I only let the kids go into the forest about 10 feet because there is so much poison ivy. They love to climb a huge tree. Ben likes to cut the big branches into smaller ones. They also play 'house' back here. We've made friends with the 8 year old girl across the street, so the kids are so excited for Fridays when 'the black girl' (it used to be 'the girl with the black car,' but Annie has shortened it. She's not so good with names!!!) doesn't have cheerleading or piano. They built this fort against the fence that held up during the two huge storms we've had this week. Get this - Tara's dad is a professional bowler! How fun is that! We haven't met him yet thought, just his wife.
They all play (mostly) so well together out here! They each have jobs and feel a part of the whole. Sweet Emily mainly just watches and follows Ben around, but she has so much fun doing it!
At my new favorite produce store, I found a big basket of pretty tomatoes for $3.95. I decided I could just can them - forgetting that my jars are almost gone and I still need to do apples! So, after eating about a dozen in the last 36 hours, I found directions for freezing them! Apparently the skins peel right off when thawed and they tomatoes can be tossed in chili or soups! I go through so many jars of stewed tomatoes in the winter, so hopefully this will help cut down grocery bills later! So far this month I've done peaches, peach jam, pears, pearsauce, and salsa. Tomorrow I'm going to get more apples for applesauce and baked apples...I think! And maybe some more tomatoes - they are just so pretty!!!

2 comments:

barbara said...

You are really getting ready for winter. And it sounds like winter is getting closer! Food looks great. Good work, Linz!!

Jamie said...

I love the one of the girls together - so sweet. Ben looks very comfortable out with all those tree branches - what a boy! Glad the cake turned out.