Seach The Maas Family Blog

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Before, During, and After Hitting the Slopes

 On Saturday riding the bus to to Red River Mountain....  Emily, Grace, Annie, Carolyn, Ben, and Ben
 What a glorious Tuesday!  We took the kids to their lesson (on a MUCH less crowded day!!!) and headed off to ski together!  We did a few runs that morning with much instruction on technique from Andy.  Katie's boots were hurting, so the boys and I did a few blue runs - so much fun!  I finally caught on and enjoyed it!  After lunch we did a few of the smaller runs, one that went through a little mine with some training jumps - just exhilarating!  We had a great time, beautiful weather, and strong bodies!  And, yes, everyone could easily spot me in my bright coat!
 Tuesday afternoon, we stayed only on blues (my greatest moment was when Kevin told me I was probably a better skier than his brother - and the moment when he looked down a dark blue *he and Andy both agreed it was probably much closer to a black* and thought, "if Lindsey can go down that, so can I!").  However, I have never felt such an incredible burning in my quads.  Holy Cow.  It was an experience unlike any other.  My body was prepared - I have worked out really hard the previous 3 months getting ready, like 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours six times a week in classes or with a trainer, and nothing could have prepared me for the quivering, burning sensation and the blessings of lift rides for relief!  Although, I never could have kept up with the guys if I hadn't worked so hard on getting my turns nice and straight that morning - back to the basics - completely understand why baseball players continue to use a tee!

By the end of Tuesday, I was dead tired.  We picked up the kids, and they wanted to do just one more run down Schoolmarm (a 3+ mile green), which all had done a few times with their classes.  We wanted to see them ski, so off we went...and had the mountain pretty much to ourselves - just exhilarating!

The kids all did fantastic.  Emily just bends her knees and zooms down the mountain.  Ben is cautious but tries to be fast.  Annie has an affinity for skiing - does natural turns and just enjoys being on the mountain.  They all loved the experience and were exhausted.  *Confession - I had a hard time keeping up speedwise with these guys by the end of the run!  Their bodies just keep going and going and going!
 Walking back through Keystone Village - home to pack, empty the fridge and finish off the food!  Thank goodness for wagons!!!!
 Our happy family - minus the little guy!  We saw quite a few people with 2 year olds teaching them to ski with little halters and connecting pieces.  Andy considered doing that with Mitchell, but it didn't look very fun for the adults!
 The Bens - they both were quite well-behaved as the both responded to hearing their name from any adult...
 Sad to see our vacation end, but much too quickly Wednesday morning came, and we were off to the airport!  We tend to travel light.  ;)  We did check one bag; the rest were carry-ons that fantastic agents let us gate check!
 We stopped for brunch on our way back to meet with Andy's mom, Nonni - her camera has the pictures with all of us!  Thanks to Addy for being a fantastic photographer!  We loved the Wednesday free pie at Village Inn!
 And waiting patiently for our airplane...we got to walk Addy to her gate and then hang out by ours.  Sad story, I took Ben and Mitchell exploring, not realizing we were so close to boarding time, but we made it!!!
 As excited as we all were to see our beds, no one wanted to get up Thursday morning and go to school.  The kids have asked repeatedly if we can go back to Colorado...although I have to remind them that their friends also went home - no more playmates to live with!  It was hard to come back and work in my kitchen alone; I still miss having Addy and Katie to chat with while we do all the necessary food-prep...until next time!!!

No comments: